Gnocchi was one of my favorite meals growing up. My parents were born and raised in Italy. One of my grandfather's was a potato farmer and the other was a grain and bean farmer so gnocchi was a staple meal in their homes too.
I learned how to make gnocchi quite young and traditionally they are made with durum wheat flour and egg. Today, I offer you an amazing and satisfying match that is vegan and gluten free. My son just said, "This is so good, as good or better than Nonna's".
That is what I like to hear!
RECIPE INGREDIENTS FOR 6 SERVINGS:
6 whole medium sized Russet potatoes
3 cups GF flour (tried and true with Karma Baker GF Flour Mix) + extra for sprinkling
2 TBSPNS extra virgin olive oil
1 TBSPN nutritional yeast
1 TBSPN chia seeds
4 tsp's sea salt
1/2 tspn fresh chopped thyme
1/4 tspn fresh chopped rosemary
1/4 tspn fresh chopped sage
INSTRUCTIONS FOR PREPARING GNOCCHI DOUGH FROM SCRATCH:
1. Scrub potatoes under water, leaving the skin on. Fill a large pot with water, add whole potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium heat and cook potatoes until you can pierce a fork all the way through. Drain potatoes immediately after cooked and let cool in a strainer. It is essential that you cook the potatoes with the skin on to get the perfect texture potato. Once the potatoes have cooled down, peel the skin with a pairing knife and cut potatoes in half.
2. Set up your works space by clearing a large wood or stainless steel table top or board, and sprinkle it with a healthy dusting of GF flour to cover the space.
3. Run each of the potatoes through a potato ricer and spread on the board. Next, add each of the next ingredients evenly sprinkled over the riced potatoes on your work surface.
4. Begin to knead the mixture with two hands, until all of the ingredients are fully incorporated and you have a ball of dough that holds together, rolls without sticking on the board or to your hands. If the texture feels a bit sticky, you can simply add 2 TBSPNS extra flour at a time until you get a nice consistency of firm smooth dough that does not stick. Roll your dough into a log shape as seen in the picture.
5. Cover dough with plastic wrap and let sit for 30 minutes on your board sprinkled with a light dusting of flour.
6. Now you are ready to cut your dough into gnocchi. First cut 2 inch flat pieces as shown in the bottom photo. Sprinkle each side with a light dusting of flour. Then cut your flat pieces
into thirds. You will roll each of these thirds into ropes that are 1 inch wide. Sprinkle a light dusting of flour on your rope pieces.All shown below.
7. Now, take your knife and cut 1 inch pieces in length from the rope.
This is your gnocchi! Transfer your gnocchi to a flour dusted baking
tray and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, up to 6 hours if you will be cooking the same day or you should place them in the freezer. Once they are frozen on trays, they pop off trays and can be bagged easily to cook another day.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR COOKING GNOCCHI:
Gnocchi dough is very fragile. They can easily be overcooked and all your hard work will turn to mush. The gnocchi is ready in 1-2 minutes after placing them in water and they require care in removing them when cooked. Never drain gnocchi into a strainer. This will bring a fountain of tears, guaranteed!
1. Bring a large 8 qt pot of water to a boil. Add 1 TBSPN salt.
2. In the meantime, select your sauce. (this pairs wonderfully with the lentil cauliflower bolognese from a previous blog). Heat your sauce and place it on the bottom of your serving dish (a wide bowl or platter is preferred)
2. Only cook 1/3 of the gnocchi at a time. When water is boiling, carefully slide 1/3 of the gnocchi into the pot. You will see them sink to the bottom. Give them one quick stir with a slotted spoon. They will begin to rise in 2 minutes, remove immediately with a slotted wide spoon, placing them gently into the sauced dish. Gnocchi do not like to be stirred too often, so this process works well. Repeat this quickly until they are all removed.
3. Repeat this cooking process with the remainder gnocchi. Top your serving dish with more sauce and vegan parmesan. Pour your favorite beverage and serve. This is truly a treat!